|Slow Cooker |
Sweet & Spicy Orange Chicken
- 4 to 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (we just used one of those 2.5 pound bags of frozen chicken breast planks)
- 12-ounce jar orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I used 3/4 teaspoon because I am a total badass)
- Optional: 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger (I used 1/4 teaspoon because, again, I am a total badass)
- Salt and pepper to taste (I used bouillon powder for the chicken stock, so I didn't need any extra salt. A few good shots of fresh cracked black pepper works wonders here)
- 3 tablespoons corn starch mixed with 3 tablespoons cold water
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper (I totally missed this step when I made it. Doesn't matter because I left out the salt anyway. And now that I think of it, I'm calling bullshit. The recipe clearly called for "salt and pepper to taste." Are they suggesting I taste raw chicken to see if it's seasoned correctly? What the hell is wrong with people?) Place chicken in slow cooker (if you're not already debilitated with food poisoning from licking raw chicken to see if it's properly seasoned.)
- In a bowl, whisk together marmalade, broth and spices. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on LOW for 5-7 hours, or HIGH for 3-4 hours, turning chicken halfway though cooking (that didn't happen).
- 30 minutes before serving, add the cornstarch/water mixture to help thicken the sauce.
UPDATE: I have posted up the video that accompanies this recipe: