|Pastelitos with Picadillo|
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1-1/4 pounds ground beef (I used 80/20 to keep the fat down)
- 1 packet Sazon seasoning
- 1/2 cup chopped green olives
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Boil the water in a small saucepan and add the salt and butter. Combine the cornmeal and flour in a bowl. Add the boiling water, mixing well to form a soft dough. Set aside and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a skillet and add ground beef. Add the minced onion, olives and sazon. Brown the meat. Drain any excess oil.
- Add the tomato sauce and stir to mix.
- Heat about 1" of vegetable oil in a cast iron skillet
- Take a big spoonful (about 2 tablespoons full) of the cornmeal mix and flatten it out in the palm of your hand. Fill it with a heaping teaspoonful of the picadillo. Take another smaller scoop of the cornmeal mix and flatten it over the top. Work it into whatever shape you like. We ended up with pastelitos roughly the size and shape of a hockey puck.
- Fry each pastelito for 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.