Thursday, January 30, 2014

Slow Cooker Sweet & Spicy Orange Chicken

     When I want hilariously unhealthy slow-cooker recipes, I turn to Gooseberry Patch Super Fast Slow Cooking. Many of the recipes call for Velveeta by the pound. This particular recipe called for an entire jar of orange marmalade. My recent blood workup said my blood sugars were fine, so I figured I'd give it a spin. I ramped up the heat a little by doubling the cayenne. I also added a cornstarch slurry to thicken up the sauce. We wound up serving it over white rice. This isn't going to blow your mind. It's simple and tasty and that's about it. It does leave plenty of room for interpretation. I'd certainly make it again. As always, and notes or changes are in blue.

Slow Cooker
Sweet & Spicy Orange Chicken
Ingredients

  • 4 to 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (we just used one of those 2.5 pound bags of frozen chicken breast planks)
  • 12-ounce jar orange marmalade 
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I used 3/4 teaspoon because I am a total badass)
  • Optional: 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger (I used 1/4 teaspoon because, again, I am a total badass)
  • Salt and pepper to taste (I used bouillon powder for the chicken stock, so I didn't need any extra salt. A few good shots of fresh cracked black pepper works wonders here)
  • 3 tablespoons corn starch mixed with 3 tablespoons cold water
Directions
  1. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper (I totally missed this step when I made it. Doesn't matter because I left out the salt anyway. And now that I think of it, I'm calling bullshit. 
     The recipe clearly called for "salt and pepper to taste." Are they suggesting I taste raw chicken to see if it's seasoned correctly? What the hell is wrong with people?) Place chicken in slow cooker (if you're not already debilitated with food poisoning from licking raw chicken to see if it's properly seasoned.)
  2. In a bowl, whisk together marmalade, broth and spices. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook on LOW for 5-7 hours, or HIGH for 3-4 hours, turning chicken halfway though cooking (that didn't happen).
  3. 30 minutes before serving, add the cornstarch/water mixture to help thicken the sauce.
UPDATE: I have posted up the video that accompanies this recipe:

Good times!

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! I'm stopping in from Let's Get Real today. I am always a sucker for an easy crock pot recipe. This one sounds nice and easy and certainly easy to modify. Good to know I don't need to flip over the chicken. That's not going to happen while I'm at work and the chicken is at home.

    ReplyDelete