Monday, October 1, 2012

Monday Recipe: Salmon Cakes with Spicy Mayo

     As much as I prefer to use an existing recipe as is, or even play around with it, sometimes I feel like going completely on my own in the kitchen. This was one of my first freestyle efforts and it took a couple of tries to get it right. It leaves a lot of room for personal interpretation, which I like in a recipe. As with most of my recipes, I attempted to keep costs and calories down as low as possible. The cost can be kept fairly low, since almost all of the ingredients can be found at ALDI.  I figure these run no more than $2 per serving, assuming you have to go out and buy staples (mayo, eggs, flour, etc). You can cut the cost further by leaving out the lox, but I really like what they add to these cakes.

     Some of my variations of this recipe add panko bread crumbs, some chopped basil, or other simple swap-outs. As far as the hot sauce goes, take it out or leave it in. I just happen to like spicy. When I make this I use my own home-made pepper paste. I also traditionally serve these on English muffins with a slice of tomato. Enjoy!


Salmon Cakes with Spicy Mayonnaise 
Ingredients

  • 1 14.75oz can Alaskan Pink Salmon (skin and bones removed)
  • 2 oz. smoked salmon (lox), chopped 
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
  • 1 tsp water
  • 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper sauce (or Sriracha if available)
  • 1/2 cup  breadcrumbs
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 egg
  • Grape seed oil for frying
  • Tomato slices for serving
  • English muffins for serving
  • Basil leaves (optional)
    Spicy Mayo
  • 3 tbsp mayonnaise 
  • 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp smoked paprika (regular paprika is fine if smoked is not available)
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper sauce (or Sriracha if available)
  • 1 tsp Cajun seasoning     
     Directions
  1. Clean canned salmon of bones and skin
  2. Add first 11 items to a large bowl. Mix well (use your hands if you're not a squeamish baby) 
  3. Form mixture into patties big enough to cover an English muffin
  4. Put enough oil in the bottom of a non-stick pan to cover in a layer. Set to med-high heat.
  5. Fry the patties in the grape seed oil until brown on both sides (3-5 minutes per side). Add oil as needed to keep bottom of pan coated.
  6. Place salmon cakes on paper towel to absorb excess oil
  7. In separate bowl, mix all ingredients for spicy mayo
  8. Toast muffins
  9. Spread a thin layer of mayo on the muffin. Place a slice of tomato on the muffin, place a salmon cake on the tomato. Add a dollop of mayo and a basil leaf for garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment