Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Comfort Foods



     Earlier, on Facebook, I mentioned Zombieland. In the movie, the character Tallahassee spends a lot of time looking for Twinkies. Those golden delicious cakes are his last connection to a better time. In the end, they bring him comfort and solace.

Oh, this Twinkie thing, it ain't over yet
     This brought up an interesting discussion of comfort foods. Sometimes you just need access to that little something that can get you through the day. It could be you've moved somewhere that doesn't have what you're looking for. It could be a zombie apocalypse. In any case, I asked myself what foods could make it all tolerable.

Lou Malnati's Sausage Pizza
If you're not from the greater Chicagoland area, you probably don't know what I'm talking about. This is what pizza is supposed to be. Not the floppy New York slice. Not the St. Louis  ketchup sauce pizza. I'm talking thick buttery crust, thick cheese, chunky roasted tomatoes and a slab of sausage the size of a manhole cover. There are no Lou Malnati's where we live, so we have to have them shipped in dry ice. Totally worth it.

White Castle
You either get White Castle, or you don't. There's no middle ground on sliders. The entire world could be crumbling around me and as long as I had a Crave Case, I'd be fine.

Peanut Butter M&M's
When it comes to candy, this trumps them all for me. This is the perfect blend of chocolate and peanut butter, and the shell prevents chocolate from melting on your hands. I could eat these until my pancreas shut off.

Jim Beam
All right, technically this isn't a food. It is, however, comforting. Given enough Beam, any situation is tolerable.

Good times!

No comments:

Post a Comment