Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Nutritionally Irresponsible Cooking: Fauxganoff

     When I lived in my first apartment, my culinary concerns were more focused on simply filling my belly. My cooking was fairly limited. Ramen, pasta, frozen pizzas, that sort of thing. Mostly this was due to the fact that I was counting every penny. Sometimes I got creative. Things didn't always go well, but there was the occasional success.  One of the less offensive dishes the wife and I regularly ate was something we called "Fauxganoff."

     It's pretty much what you think it is. I cobbled together a mock Beef Stroganoff from stuff I bought at ALDI. That stuff did not include fresh ingredients. This was put together from prepackaged and canned foods. I'm working from memory here, but the recipe went something like this:

Ingredients

  • 1 can Roast Beef with Gravy
  • 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
  • 1 pound egg noodles

Directions

  1. Open cans and pour contents into saucepan.
  2. Add cheese
  3. Bring to a simmer
  4. Boil noodles and drain
  5. Put noodles in saucepan and stir
     What's truly irresponsible about this meal is the level of salt you're going subject yourself to. 

If only, but no.
     A can of the beef has something like 2000mg of sodium. If you didn't have high blood pressure before, you will. If you already did have high blood pressure, this is liable to kill you outright. But man, was it good.

No comments:

Post a Comment