Saturday, February 15, 2014

Bacon Swiss Mini Tarts

     I keep expecting the whole bacon craze to play out, but it is still going strong. People will eat just about anything these days if it incorporates bacon. I'm fairly sure I could serve up cat turds wrapped in bacon and somebody would eat them. What I'm getting at is that there's no shortage of bacon recipes. The wife bought me a book of 101 bacon related recipes for my birthday. I only just got around to trying one out. This particular snacketizer was pretty good. However, I think there was far too much mayo going on here. It managed to overpower most of the other flavors, which is a bit gross. I think a swap out with a bit of cream cheese would be the fix. As always, notes and comments are in blue.

Bacon Swiss Mini Tart
via: 101 Things To Do With Bacon
Ingredients
  • 8 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 1 tomato, chopped
  • 1/4 cup finely minced onion
  • 3/4 cup grated Swiss cheese
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I'm going to tell you again that this is WAY too much mayo. I'd cut it back to 1/4 cup mayo and add 1/4 cup cream cheese)
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil (I used a teaspoon of dried)
  • 1 can (16 ounces) refrigerated flaky buttermilk biscuits (I don't think mine were "flaky." They may have just been regular old biscuits)
  • 1-2 teaspoons hot sauce of your choice
Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375F degrees and grease a mini muffin pan (this marks the very first time I have used the mini muffin pan. To this point it has sat sullenly in the back of the cabinet)
  2. In a bowl, combine bacon, tomato, onion cheese, mayo and basil (Wouldn't it have been easier to say "combine everything except the biscuits?" Why do people needlessly complicate things? This is why I can't leave the house without sedating myself first)
  3. Separate biscuits horizontally (I'm not laying on the ground to separate biscuits. I just stood right at the counter and did it) and press halves into mini muffin pan. Fill each biscuit half with some of the bacon mixture. 
  4. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown (we went about 15-18 minutes)
Good Times!

3 comments:

  1. Looks great. I'm not a mayo fan and my husband hates it. Maybe you could sub it with sour cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sour cream should work. I'm more partial to cream cheese, just to keep things bound up in there.

      Delete
  2. I love everything with cream cheese. Now you've talked me into that. My son is in on the bacon craze. He repeatedly tells me that bacon..............goes good with bacon. I'll have to try to make these for him. I bet the blue cheese would be really tasty..........and hot sauce. Now you are talking! Thanks for sharing this with our Let's Get Real readers.

    ReplyDelete