Sunday, December 15, 2013

Too Damned Easy Baked Brie and Chutney

     I subscribe to several cooking magazines. Occasionally I will find recipes and make them exactly as described. More often than not, I will modify the recipe to fit what I have in the house and what I am willing to spend money on. Naturally, certain recipes never make it into the rotation because of these restrictions. One recipe in particular involved brie, fruit preserves and puff pastry. I generally don't stock these items. However, as luck would have it, I found very reasonably priced (nine bucks for almost two pounds!) brie at the Sam's Club in town. I didn't feel like looking for the actual recipe, so I decided to wing it with what I had. I grabbed some of my chutney and a tube of ALDI biscuit dough and went to work. The end result was much greater than the sum of its parts. This looked super fancy and tasted amazing. The melted brie mixed with the chutney for a sweet and mild taste. The biscuit dough held it all together perfectly. I hope you enjoy this as much as we did! As always, notes are in blue.


Too Damned Easy
Baked Brie and Chutney
Ingredients
  • 6-8 ounce piece of brie, rind removed
  • 2 tablespoons roasted pepper and tomato chutney (feel free to use some other chutney or preserve. You're not going to hurt my feelings)
  • 1 7.5 ounce tube of buttermilk biscuits
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
  2. Take half the biscuit dough, wad it up and roll it out big enough that you can lay the brie on and have enough dough to fold up the sides of the brie. 
  3. Put the brie on the dough (duh). 
  4. Spread the chutney over the top of the brie.
  5. Wad up the other half of the dough and roll it out to the same size as the first piece. Lay it over the top. Tuck the bottom dough under the top. Use a sharp knife to make three slashes on the top of the dough (this will vent any steam and makes this look way fancier than it actually is.)
  6. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. (If you're feeling ultra-fancy, give the dough an egg wash before putting it in the oven)
BONUS: Watch in horror as we make this recipe on YouTube!
Good times!

1 comment:

  1. This looks so good! And you can't beat "too damned easy." Thank you for linking to the In and Out of the Kitchen Link Party. Hope to see you next time.

    ReplyDelete