Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Herbed Cheese Scones

     I loves me some scones. I used to think scones were just something stodgy people from England grimly chewed while they drank their tea. Unless someone proves otherwise, I'm going to continue thinking that. However, I have found that they are versatile and tremendously easy to make. Many people are surprised when I tell them I've never made a sweet scone. All the scones I've made to this point are savory. Granted, I've only made one other kind of scone, ham and cheddar. This particular recipe came out of Bon Appetit magazine. I made a lot of changes, so I have no idea what the original recipe tastes like. Mine were great, so I imagine theirs is ok. As always, any notes and changes are in blue.


Herbed Cheese Scones
via Bon Appetit
Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) chilled, unsalted butter, cut into pieces (I'm going to be honest. I don't ever use unsalted butter. I don't even use less salt most times. I live dangerously)
  • 8 ounces provolone cheese, grated (no provolone in the house. I figured blue cheese would work in this recipe, so I went with 6 ounces blue and 2 ounces of butterkase cheese)
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives (we used green onions in place of the chive)
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary (we used 1 teaspoon dried)
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme (we used 1 teaspoon dried)
  • 4 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream, plus more
Directions
  1. Pulse baking powder, salt, paprika, and 4 cups flour in a food processor until combined (HAHAHAHAHAHA. No.) add butter and pulse until the texture of coarse meal with a few pea-size pieces of butter remain (I just cranked the Kitchenaid with the regular blade. I learned not to go straight to 5 or you are cleaning up the counter. And the walls.)
  2. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and mix in cheese, chives, rosemary and thyme. Make a well in the center; add eggs and 3/4 cup cream. Using a fork, blend eggs and cream, then slowly incorporate dry ingredients until a shaggy dough forms.
    Wrong Shaggy.

    Zoinks! Still the wrong Shaggy.
    Be careful not to overwork dough (Overwork is not something that happens much with me)
  3. Turn out dough on a lightly floured surface and press into an 8" square about 1" thick (I didn't make mine into a square. It was more of a "splat"). Using a floured chef's knife, cut into 16 squares and divide between two parchment-lined baking sheets (I am openly defying the recipe at this point. I used the ring from a quart jar lid to cut CIRCULAR scones. NOW WHAT, BON APPETIT?) Wrap with plastic and chill 2 hours (the scones, but if you want to kick back for a couple of hours, go right ahead)
  4. Preheat oven to 400F. Brush tops of scones with cream and bake, rotating baking sheets halfway through, until golden brown on tops and bottoms. This will take about 20-25 minutes (I went 30 just to be difficult)
Good times!

1 comment:

  1. Hi!! Thank you for joinning the bake fest I’m hosting. Glad to have you. Can you please add the links to the post per the rules and let me know. THank you.

    Bake fest rules:
    http://www.withaspin.com/2013/12/03/bake-fest-26/

    ReplyDelete