Friday, June 7, 2013

Ham and Cheddar Scones (via BHG)

     I was minding my own business while the wife was paging through some old issues of Better Homes and Gardens. It's normally a source of great amusement to see the horrifying things people do to their homes in the name of decoration. These are not middle-class decorators. We generally just laugh at these people's homes and then look at the recipes. It was this particular recipe for scones from a two year old issue that caused the wife to ask me to make them. She loves baked goods. Fortunately, I had some ham in the fridge that needed to be used right away. The scones turned out great. I think with a bit of butter, or some cream cheese and a chutney, they'd be even better. Word of warning, keep working the dough. It's not going to want to stick together. Resist adding anything.

Ham and Cheddar Scones
(via Better Homes and Gardens)

Ingredients
  • 1 3/4 cups flour
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (2 oz.)
  • 1/4 cup diced cooked ham
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or 1 tsp. dried dillweed
  • 3/4 cup fat free sour cream
  • 1egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment (if you've got that parchment on one side and foil on the other kind of paper, you want the parchment side up. You probably already know that, but I'm going to forget and I'm putting this note here to remind myself); set aside. 
  2. In a large bowl combine flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs (I absolutely need to get one of those pastry cutters for this sort of thing. It's a colossal pain in the ass to do this step with two knives). Stir in cheese, ham, and dill. Combine sour cream, egg, and mustard; add all at once to flour mixture. Using a fork, stir just until mixture is moistened, Do not overwork (I assure you, this is not a directive that needs to be given to me).
  3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it for four to six strokes or just until dough holds together (this is why I hate making scones. The dough will fight you every step of the way. It magically will be horrifyingly sticky, but not want to come together into a cohesive dough. I had to knead it way more than the recipe directed. They must employ some sort of dough wizardry over there to get it to hold in a half dozen kneads)
  4. Pat or lightly roll dough until 3/4 inch thick. Cut dough with a floured 2-1/2- to 3-inch biscuit cutter (biscuit cutter? Ain't nobody got time for that. I used the ring from one of my pint canning jars. That's about 2-3/4 inches). Reroll scraps as necessary, dipping cutter into flour between cuts (they are not kidding when they tell you to do this. Keep everything floured. Flour the cutter, flour the counter. Hell, you  probably should go ahead and flour the walls just in case)Place dough circles 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet. 
  5.  Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden (My batch took 20). Cool slightly on a wire rack. Serve warm. If desired, sprinkle with fresh dill. Makes 10 to 12 scones (if you are crafty, resourceful, and handsome like me, you used the canning ring. That means you'll probably end up with 16 scones).
Good times!

2 comments:

  1. Well, Frank, you are just a hoot. I enjoyed reading about your canning ring scones almost as much as I think I would enjoy eating them. (Ham and cheese scones? Seriously? Lord have mercy.) I'm your newest subscriber. I really needed some outstanding reading and recipes....thanks! :)

    Love, Joy @ Yesterfood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for subscribing! I shall do my best to keep you hooked up with great recipes! I can't promise you the writing will always be top notch, though. :)

      Delete