Sunday, December 22, 2013

Herb Salad with Feta, Roasted Red Peppers and Toasted Nuts

     When it's the holiday season, I tend to eat like I may never get the chance again. I stuff my face to the point of actual physical discomfort. Then I gain 18 pounds in water weight and want to die. I am absolutely not going to to a "detox." I am not going to punish myself with "green smoothies," which sounds like something I get when I have too much dairy. No. I eat a salad or two and all is well. Just make sure it's a salad with something going on. I don't want a bowl of lettuce. This is a great salad. I can't for the life of me remember where I got the recipe. If anybody knows, tell me so I can give credit where credit is due. Anyways, the salad has feta. That's all that really matters here. As always, any notes are in blue.

Herb Salad with Feta, Roasted Red Peppers and Toasted Nuts
Ingredients
  • 1 5 oz container herb salad mix (or just use 5 ounces of any greens you like)
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped roasted red peppers from jar, dried on paper towel
  • ½ cup walnut halves or pecan halves, toasted
  • 1 10.5oz jar feta cheese in oil with herbs and spices (I only had a container of plain feta in the fridge. I just added some olive oil and herbs myself)
  • 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
Directions
  1. Combine salad mix, peppers and nuts in large bowl 
  2. Drain feta, reserving oil and spice mixture, sprinkle feta over salad 
  3. Whisk 3 tablespoons reserved oil mixture with red wine vinegar in small bowl 
  4. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss to coat 
  5. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper
Good times!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I'm hopping over from Let's Get Real today. We all detox in our own way and I agree salad is a good one. I've really been eating and I'm starting to feel it. I think salad is in order tonight and I have everything to make this one. Of course a glass of wine or two will make it an even better meal.

    ReplyDelete