Monday, November 19, 2012

Historically Significant Cranberry Sauce


     The cranberry sauce is a very important part of my family's Thanksgiving meal. The recipe I am about to impart has been a part of our holiday table for as long I can remember. We're talking over forty years of history. It was passed on to my parents by their parents. My parents have passed it on to me. I don't think they gave it to my sister. She doesn't really cook much. I'm pretty sure she still uses her oven for extra shoe storage. Anyway, here it is.

Historically Significant Cranberry Sauce

Ingredients:

  • 1 14oz. can jellied cranberry sauce
Directions
  1. Open can
  2. Shake can until contents slide out onto a plate with a satisfying "plop"
  3. Lay cylinder of jellied cranberry sauce on side
  4. Slice cylinder into 1/2" slices
“It has been an unchallengeable American doctrine that cranberry sauce, a pink goo with overtones of sugared tomatoes, is a delectable necessity of the Thanksgiving board and that turkey is uneatable without it.”
-Alistaire Cooke

     You may have some questions regarding this recipe. That's normal, this is not a recipe for novice cooks.  You may wonder if you should use smooth or chunky? We're a smooth house. Can you cut thicker or thinner? Go for it. There's room for interpretation. If you're feeling daring, don't slice it at all and just throw a spoon out there with it  Enjoy it. Use it wisely. With great power comes great responsibility.

Good Times!

2 comments:

  1. I have to buy a can for each of my kids and they do not share. It's hilarious! Thanks for a little chuckle this morning.

    ReplyDelete