Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Caribbean Hot Sauce via Hot Sauce!

     One can never have too much hot sauce available. I was excited to try my hand at a Carribean-style recipe in my Hot Sauce! cookbook. I even went out and bought a mango just for the purpose of using it to make hot sauce. The book and several people said that this style of sauce can turn plain old scrambled eggs into a transcendental experience. I'll let you know when I try it! I can tell you this sauce packs a wallop up front. There's a blast of heat followed by the sweet fruitiness of the mango. Just underneath all of that is a tiny hint of mustard. It's a tremendous combination that makes the heat totally worth it. This recipe will yield a bit over a pint of sauce. As always, any changes or notes are in blue.

Caribbean Hot Sauce
via Hot Sauce!

Ingredients
  • 5 fresh Scotch bonnet or habanero chiles (preferably yellow, red, or orange), stemmed and seeded (I used 6 red habaneros that I froze whole last season)
  • 1 ripe papaya or mango, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped (I went with mango)
  • 1 small yellow onion, coarsely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 (1-inch) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 teaspoons honey
  • 1 tablespoon dry mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Pinch of ground cumin
  • Pinch of ground coriander
Directions
  1. Add all of the ingredients into a blender and puree until just smooth, taking care not to aerate the mixture too much. 
    Fire in the hole!
  2. Pour into a nonreactive saucepan, bring to a boil, and then lower the heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
  3. Let cool and pour into bottles. Refrigerated, the sauce will keep for 6 weeks. (If you're planning on canning it, you will need two half-pint jars. Fill them to about 1/4" inch from the top and seal them. I process mine in a boiling water bath for about 10-12 minutes. As always, if you're not familiar with water-bath canning, please go to the National Center for Home Food Preservation and read up on canning before you accidentally give yourself food poisoning and I disavow any knowledge of posting this recipe)
Good times!

No comments:

Post a Comment