Monday, August 12, 2013

Pork and Chinese Cabbage Soup

     I really enjoy Chinese food and have been making it a point to try cooking more of it. I'm also trying to try stuff that isn't just stir-fry. Since the wife enjoys soup, I decided to try out a very simple Chinese recipe for pork and cabbage soup. I got the recipe from my copy of The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook by Gloria Bley Miller. I messed around with the quantities in this recipe, mostly because I wanted to make sure I used up all the ingredients. The result was wonderful. The soup was mild and flavorful. It paired very well with the steamed pork buns I made that day. As always, any notes or changes are in blue.

Pork and Chinese Cabbage Soup
via The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook
Ingredients

  • 1/4 pound lean pork (we used 1/2 pound)
  • 2 slices fresh ginger root (we used 4 slices)
  • 1/2 pound Chinese (Napa) cabbage (we used a full pound)
  • 6 cups stock or water (we used about 9 cups shrimp stock)
  • 1 tablespoon peanut oil (didn't have it, we used sesame oil)
  • 3/4 to 1 teaspoon salt (only used 1/2 teaspoon since there would be plenty of salt from the soy sauce)
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar (we used a little more than 1/2 teaspoon)
  • 2 teaspoons soy sauce (used 3 teaspoons)
  • Dash of pepper
Directions
  1. Mince or shred pork (we used ground pork so did not need to do this step), mince ginger root (don't forget to peel it), slice cabbage thin or shred. Bring stock to a boil.
  2. In a deep pan, heat oil. Add ginger and brown lightly. Add heated stock, then salt and cabbage (I just used one pot for the whole process. First I did the ginger and oil, then added the stock and brought it to the boil), reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
  3. Add pork, sugar, soy sauce and pepper. Simmer, covered 15 minutes more (I let it go an extra five minutes to make entirely sure the pork was done and I wouldn't poison anyone to death).
Good times!

No comments:

Post a Comment