Monday, July 8, 2013

Zucchini Boats

     I do most of the cooking in the house. This is by design. The wife doesn't approve of my cleaning methods, which consist largely of wiping everything off the counter on to the floor. We have struck a bargain. I cook, she does the bulk of the cleaning apart from my non-stick pan and cast iron skillet. There was an incident years ago in which her enthusiasm with a scouring pad resulted in the untimely demise of my Emeril non-stick egg pan.
     There are times when I insist the wife step up and cook. I have a couple of meals that, even though I am fully capable of cooking them myself, I prefer that she make them. I consider them her recipes. She made them first. It's only right that the onus of cooking them always fall to her. Among these recipes are a wicked good tuna casserole, zucchini bread, potato casserole and zucchini boats. She found the recipe for these zucchini boats on an ancient CD-ROM: "Easy Chef's One Million Recipes." She actually made a couple of modifications (a girl after my own heart); the changes and notes will, as always, be in blue.
Zucchini Boats
Ingredients
  • 3 lg. zucchini
  • 2 tbsp. onion, minced
  • 3 tbsp. butter
  • 1 c. soft bread crumbs (she uses an equal amount of dry Italian bread crumbs. You know, the ones in the cardboard tube)
  • 1/2 c. tomatoes, cooked and chopped (she just sauteed them in a little olive oil for a few minutes)
  • Salt & pepper to taste
  • 1/2 lb. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (she subs in cheeses at a whim. Hardcore. Sometimes she'll use Mozarella. This time she used a 6-cheese Italian mix.)
Directions
  1. Cook zucchini in boiling salted water 10 minutes. 
  2. Cut in halves and scoop out centers. Mix pulp with remaining ingredients. 
    Don't completely gut the zucchini.
    You're just scooping a trench down the middle to hold the filling.
  3. Fill zucchini and top with cheese. 
  4. Bake in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes. 
These are great served with marinara sauce!

Serves 6.

Good times!

No comments:

Post a Comment