Monday, July 29, 2013

BBQ Jalapeno Peppers and Onions

     Every year, the garden produces jalapeno and banana peppers faster than I can use them. Desperate times called for desperate measures. I turned to Allrecipes.  After digging around, I found one of my favorite recipes for working through surplus peppers. I've tweaked the recipe to add in more of my produce. This recipe makes a LOT of extra sauce, so don't be shy about loading in extra peppers and onions. Even if you do have extra sauce, it's vinegar based, so it will can well.
     I'm not joking when I tell you that this sauce is the bomb-diggety. True story, I gave a pint to a co-worker because he liked it so much. Somehow, it fell out of his mailbox in the workroom and shattered. He came to me literally on the verge of tears. I brought him a quart the next day. He cradled it in his arms and smiled tenderly at it. I'm fairly sure he showed more affection for that quart of sauce than his own kids. Either way, this sauce is beyond good and will bring any meat to another level entirely. As always, notes and changes are in blue.

BBQ Peppers and Onions
via Allrecipes
Ingredients
  • 2 cups corn oil 
  • 2 cups cider vinegar 
  • 2 cups white sugar 
  • 4 cups ketchup 
  • 1 pound fresh jalapeno peppers, sliced into rings 
  • 1 pinch dried oregano (in this case, a pinch is a teaspoon)
  • 1 clove garlic, minced 
  • 1 pound fresh Banana Peppers, sliced into rings
  • At least 1 large Yellow Onion, sliced
Directions
  1. In a large pot, stir together the corn oil, cider vinegar, sugar, and ketchup until sugar has dissolved completely. 
  2. Bring to a boil, then add the jalapeno peppers (any other peppers and onion go in at this step, too). Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes. Season with oregano and garlic. 
  3. Ladle into sterile pint jars, leaving 1/4 inch of space at the top. Wipe rims with a clean dry towel. Seal with lids and rings. Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes to seal (I can't say I agree with the time of the water bath here, especially not for a full pint. As a rule of thumb, I do 12 minutes for a half pint, 15 for a full pint. I've done it my way for three years and haven't killed anybody yet)
  4. Refrigerate any unsealed jars.
Good times!

3 comments:

  1. I love small batch recipes like this one. Thanks for linking up to the Get Inspired Weekend Blog Hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this recipe, Frank. It is exactly what I needed. Hubby insists on planting Jalapenos every year, even though we already have a surplus of them in the pantry. I was looking for something DIFFERENT to do with them, & this looks like the perfect solution! :o)

    ReplyDelete