Saturday, May 4, 2013

Herbed Swirl Bread via Everyday Light Meals

     Who doesn't love bread! Obviously people with gluten intolerance, but you know what I mean. Every time I post a picture of bread on Facebook, people go nuts. Even just a picture of a ball of dough. People can't help but like it.
Oh boy! Bread!
     This was the case with the bread I baked today. Everybody responded in a very positive manner. This is a good thing since I don't think I could handle it if I got a tidal wave of comments about how awful that looked and how much it probably sucks. Anyways, I got the recipe out of the Taste of Home Everyday Light Meals cookbook, so if it's bad, blame them! As always, any changes or notes are made in blue.  With no further delay, I proudly present:
Herbed Swirl Bread
via Everyday Light Meals

Ingredients

  • 3 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
  • 2-1/2 cups warm water, divided
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 3-1/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 2-3/4 to 3-1/2 cups white flour
  • 6 green onions, finely chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 cup minced fresh parsley
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 egg, beaten

Directions
  1. In large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in 3/4 cup warm water. Add sugar, let stand for five minutes. Add whole wheat flour, salt, and remaining water. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough bread flour to form a soft, sticky dough. (I ended up using the minimum amount of white flour called for in the recipe, 2-3/4 cup)
  2. Turn out onto floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes (I just chucked it all in the Kitchenaid and let the dough hook take care of it. My work ethic extends only so far.) Place in a bowl coated in non-stick spray, make sure to coat top (Of the bread, not YOUR top. Unless you're in to that sort of thing. I'm not here to judge.) Cover and let rise in a warm place for about an hour.
  3. In a nonstick skillet, saute onions, garlic, herbs and pepper in butter until tender. Set aside. (I only had fresh green onions. I substituted dried for everything else and doubled the amount of butter. Remember to use smaller amounts if you're switching to dry. You can find equivalents online. I also completely forgot to put in the pepper.)
  4. Punch dough down onto floured surface. Cut into two pieces. Roll each piece out to about 14"x9". Brush with some egg, put the rest of the egg in the fridge for now. (Make sure the egg bowl is CLEAN before you put it in the fridge. I just tossed mine in there and apparently there was some drippage. The wife let me know about said dripping in a very loud and annoyed voice.) Spread herb mixture over dough to within 1/2" of the edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting on the short side. Pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under. Place seam-side down in two greased loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
  5. Brush with reserved egg. Bake at 375F for 40-50 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when tapped. (Mine took 46 minutes.) Remove from pans to wire racks. 
At 12 slices a loaf, you're looking at about 135 calories a slice.

Good times!

4 comments:

  1. I found you from the Marvelous Monday party. I would love it if you would share at my party: http://rediscovermom.blogspot.com/2013/05/tried-and-true-recipes-11.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the invite! I'd be glad to share. I'll send along my meatloaf recipe. Thanks again and have a great day!

      Delete
  2. I'd be happy to! Thanks for the invite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for joining with All Things Pretty we are live again at http://myfashionforwardblog.com/2013/05/16/all-things-pretty-8/

    ReplyDelete