Monday, May 6, 2013

Recipe Monday: Orange Zabaglione

     I do a lot of Italian cooking in my house. I also do a lot of drinking in my house. When those two worlds collide, it is always a good thing. Zabaglione is one of those wonderful desserts that incorporates booze. Traditionally, it uses Marsala wine. My go-to recipe for traditional zabaglione is from World Food Italy by Linda Doeser. I decided to mess around with the recipe and use Triple Sec instead of Marsala. The end result was the same rich consistency, but with a light citrus flavor. I am very pleased with how this turned out.
     Fair warning, making Zabaglione is a total pain in the ass. It requires total vigilance. Screw up the temperature or stop whisking and you've totally ruined it. This has never happened to me as I am a consummate professional.


Orange Zabaglione
Ingredients

  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1/3 cup super fine sugar
  • 5 tbsp Triple Sec
  • Orange slices

Directions
  1. Whisk egg yolks with the sugar in the top of a double boiler for about one minute
  2. Gently whisk in the Triple Sec. Put the top of the double boiler on the botton filled with barely simmering water. Whisk vigorously for 10-15 minutes until thick, creamy and foamy. 
  3. Immediately pour into serving glasses and garnish with orange.

Good times!



No comments:

Post a Comment