Friday, November 8, 2013

Slow Cooker Caramel Apple Pie Bread Pudding

     Bread pudding is one of those desserts that I love, but almost never make. Generally, I'll make a bread pudding one time during the holidays and then just pine away for it the rest of the year. I'm not sure why that is. Bread pudding is not particularly difficult to make. It will have to remain a mystery. I made this one because I had an empty slot in my 3 station slow cooker. I also had a loaf of Caramel Apple bread and nothing to do with it. I just changed up a recipe from Gooseberry Patch Super Fast Slow Cooking. It took WAY longer to cook than the recipe said, but ended up being a fine dessert. As always, any changes or notes are in blue.


Caramel Apple Pie Bread Pudding
via Gooseberry Patch Super Fast Slow Cooking
Ingredients

  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup sugar (we used 1/4 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown)
  • 21 ounce can apple pie filling (we used a sugar-free pie filling)
  • 6-1/2 cups cinnamon-raisin bread, cubed (no cinnamon-raisin bread on hand. Went with a one pound loaf of Pepperidge Farms Caramel Apple Bread)
  • Optional: Whipped Cream (omitted)
Directions
  1. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and sugar. 
  2. Gently stir in pie filling and bread cubes; pour mixture into lightly greased slow cooker.
  3. Cover and cook on LOW setting for 3 hours, until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean (calling bullshit on this step. We went for three hours on LOW, then over another hour on HIGH, and that damned knife never came out clean. I just gave up and called it done)
  4. Let stand, uncovered, 30-45 minutes to cook slightly before serving. 
Good times!

No comments:

Post a Comment