Sunday, November 17, 2013

Pork Chops in Mushroom Sauce

     One of my biggest complaints about slow-cooker recipes is they often end up tasting very similar. I've had chicken recipes that taste like beef recipes that taste like pork recipes. It doesn't matter what the ingredients are, the meals all end up with an inoffensive flat taste. That's why this particular recipe took us by surprise. While the recipe ends up uniformly beige, there's actually a definable flavor. I imagine that's due to the Dijon mustard. Regardless of the reason, this made for a very tasty meal. As always, any notes or changes are in blue.

Pork Chops in Mushroom Sauce
via Taste of Home Slow Cooker
Ingredients
  • 1 can (10.75 ounce) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
  • 1/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup country-style Dijon mustard (never in my life have I heard of "country-style" Dijon mustard. I'm calling bullshit and just using regular old Dijon)
  • 1 garlic clove, minced (feeling lazy, just used 1 teaspoon minced from a jar)
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 6 medium red potatoes, sliced (I used russet potatoes and everybody survived)
  • 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
  • 6 boneless loin pork chops (5 ounces each) (I used 5. SO THERE)
  • 8 ounces sliced mushrooms of your choice
Directions
  1. In a 5 quart slow cooker, combine the soup, broth, mustard, garlic and seasonings. (I managed to stuff everything into a 2.5 quart slow cooker)
  2. Stir in potatoes and onions; top with pork chops
  3. Cover and cook on LOW for 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours or until meat is tender
"Sir, you are being chauffeured around in a $250,000 Rolls Royce. Buy your own damned mustard."
Good Times! 

No comments:

Post a Comment