Monday, March 11, 2013

Recipe Monday: Macaroni & Cheese with Worcestershire and Mustard (via Bon Appetit)

     I posted a picture of this recipe on my Facebook page and it was fairly well received by both of the people who follow it. I found this recipe in Bon Appetit and decided it would be perfect for the shindig I hosted last Friday. I made a couple of small changes and it turned out wonderfully. I added a cup of diced ham.  As always, changes to the recipe will be highlighted in blue.
     I was expecting super gooey mac and cheese and ended up with something more akin to a casserole. It is rich and dense enough that it can stand on its own as an entree. Most importantly, it is super easy to make. I doubled this recipe with no issues.

Macaroni & Cheese with Worcestershire and Mustard
(via Bon Appetit)

Ingredients
  • 1/2 pound small elbow macaroni (about 2 cups)
  • 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
  • 2 1/2 cups (packed) grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (10 ounces)
  • 2 5-ounce cans evaporated milk
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (I used a tablespoon)
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 cup diced ham
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 8x8x2-inch glass baking dish. 
  2. Cook macaroni in medium pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. 
  3. Drain macaroni and place in large bowl. Add butter and toss until melted. Mix in 2 cups cheddar cheese (and ham, if using)
  4. Beat milk, eggs, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and cayenne pepper in medium bowl to blend. 
  5. Stir egg mixture into macaroni. Transfer to prepared dish; sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese over.
  6. Bake macaroni until golden on top and set in center, about 1 hour.

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious! I like the addition of Worcestershire sauce. I'll have to try that sometime!

    Julie @ This Gal Cooks

    ReplyDelete