Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Recipe Resources: Online

     I don't know about you, but I don't always want to try to come up with something new and original on my own. Sometimes I just want a nice recipe to make. Other times I'm stuck for ideas and need some recipes to use as a jumping off point.  Thanks to the Internet, there's about half a billion recipe sites available (I typed in "recipes" in the Google search bar and got 501 million results. Comparatively, "Justin Beiber" gives 598 million results, which speaks volumes about the state of the world).

There's a nightmare fanfic scenario for you

     Anyway, today I'm just going to give you a few of my go-to recipe sites. Here we go. Enjoy!

Allrecipes.com
There are a lot of great recipes on this site. However, you must steel yourself against some of the horrifyingly lame names. Honestly, if you really have the World's Greatest Stew (brownies, pasta, chili, meatloaf. haggis, pork face comfit, etc.) I'd imagine you wouldn't have to resort to posting it on a massive public recipe site. If you're willing to poke around, there are some really good recipes. Several of my canning recipes are culled from here. I really like the comments on the recipes. The people on here are absolutely ruthless in their criticism.

Bonappetit.com
You will probably see me link to this site more than anything. There is a reason for that. Their stuff, while occasionally expensive or complicated, is traditionally very good. They have an excellent recipe database, and the site is full of useful information. If you're willing to drop the cash, I'd recommend getting a subscription to the magazine.

Grouprecipes.com
Don't be fooled by the name. This isn't where you go to figure out what to make to bring to the pot luck at your 12-step program. This is very much like All Recipes, and you will likely find many of the same type of recipes here.  It's a bit rougher looking web site, design-wise, but is still a very good resource for recipes and inspirations.

Eatingwell.com
If you're like me (fat) you're going to be looking for recipes that don't break the caloric bank. Needless to say, you won't find many (none) Paula Deen recipes. Go elsewhere for your pig head cooked in butter.

I can't say I'm surprised this wasn't a hard image to find. DAMN YOU, INTERNET!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment