Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Apple Gingerbread

     Let's get this straight. Calling this recipe "bread" is not accurate. This is leaning well into "cake" territory. Especially because I decided to frost it. Everything is better with frosting. EVERYTHING. New York strip steak? Slap a layer of buttercream frosting on that bastard. Trust me on this. As for this recipe, it is dense and moist (I really hate that word since it can also describe my underwear after a day of yardwork) and delicious (unlike my underwear after a day of yardwork). As always, notes and changes are in blue.
Apple Gingerbread
(via Taste of Home EveryDay Light Meals)
Ingredients
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (we used our own homemade sweetened applesauce made with brown sugar whisky)
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tablespoons molasses
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons ground ginger 
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1/2 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt (none on hand, we used sour cream)
  • 1-1/2 cups chopped peeled Granny Smith or other tart apples (we used an equal amount of our home-made Spiked Apples)
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons reduced-fat whipped topping (omitted)
  • 1 can store-bought buttercream frosting. HELL YEAH.
Directions
  1. In a mixing bowl, combine the sugar, applesauce, egg and molasses; mix well. 
  2. Combine the flours, ginger, baking powder, baking soda and spices; add to the molasses mixture alternately with yogurt (sour cream), beating until just combined (because I'm lazy, I just put all the dry ingredients in the bowl for my KitchenAid, put all the wet ingredients in another bowl, then poured the wet ingredients in while the mixer was running). Fold in the apples.
  3. Pour into an 8-inch square baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray (I used a round dish just to be difficult). Bake at 350F (180C, Gasmark4) for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean (ours took about an hour. I think it may be due to the extra liquid in our canned apples.)
  4. Cool on a wire rack, Cut into squares, top with a dollop of whipped topping (feeling exceptionally lazy, I took a can of buttercream frosting and frosted the entire thing like a cake. Next time I think I'll make some cream cheese frosting for it!)
Good times!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, lots of underwear info!
    The recipe sounds very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always accept a certain level of risk reading recipes I post. This was fantastic!

      Delete