Monday, April 22, 2013

Monday Recipe: Salmon and Shrimp in Chili-Lime Tomato Sauce

     Normally I like to work from a recipe. I may make omissions and substitutions or add something here and there, but I like to have that framework to build on. Sometimes, I just wing it. This was one of those times.  Last week I wanted something fairly low in calories but big on flavor. I wanted to feel like I was really eating something substantial.  I figured that chili-lime was a classic combo. However, I decided on an alternative lime source. I thought Rose's Lime juice from the bar would be a nice compliment to the sriracha and sweet onion. I was right. This was fantastic and healthy to boot!
Salmon and Shrimp in Chili-Lime Tomato Sauce
Ingredients
  • 4 salmon fillets
  • 1/2 lb. medium shrimp, cleaned and de-tailed
  • 1 large, sweet onion, diced
  • 1 rib celery, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 pints tomatoes, roughly chopped
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
  • 1 teaspoon Rose's Lime Juice
  • 1 tablespoon heavy cream
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
Directions
  1. Heat olive oil in pan, add garlic, celery and onion. Saute until tender. 3-5 minutes.
  2. Take medium saucepan. Add tomatoes.  Stir in basil, Sriracha, and Rose's Lime. Blitz with an immersion blender until smooth. Add onion, celery and garlic. Bring to boil, lower to simmer and let simmer uncovered for about 25 minutes.
  3. While sauce is simmering, heat grapeseed oil in pan and cook salmon on medium heat until fish flakes easily with a fork. Add shrimp near end of cooking time and cook until pink.
  4. Take immersion blender and blend sauce until smooth, add heavy cream and stir. 
  5. Put salmon on plate, place shrimp on salmon. Cover with tomato sauce.
Serves 4 (or two really hungry people)
Good times!

No comments:

Post a Comment