Monday, July 31, 2017

Steamed Pollock in Black Bean Sauce

     So here we are with my SECOND post of 2017! I have tried to make up the difference with my YouTube channel, but sometimes people just want printed recipes. This makes no sense to me as I am a beautiful, beautiful man and am worthy of consideration by all the people of Earth. Anyways, here we are. I've been super busy with The Spud and all sorts of home improvements (bathroom remodel, replacement of our back patio door, fence installation, yard and garden work, reorganizing rooms to maximize space). I have let the blog slip and I apologize.
     This particular recipe makes use of a bamboo steamer basket. If you don't have one, a steamer rack or some other form of rigged up steam system should work fine. I had some pollock I needed to use up and went to my trusty copy of The Thousand Recipe Chinese Cookbook and tinkered with a recipe. The end result surprised myself and The Wife. This made a really delicious sauce and a wonderful meal. The fish turned out nice and flaky. We served it up with some steamed sesame buns I got from the local world market. You could also use steamed pork buns and they would be great. This was super easy to put together. You could pretty much use any sauce you'd like with the fish, but I recommend giving this one a try for something a little different. As always, notes are in blue.

Steamed Pollock in Black Bean Sauce
Ingredients

  • 1 pound pollock (or other whitefish) 3-4 fillets
  • 1 tablespoon garlic black bean paste (available in the Asian section of most supermarkets)
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1/2 inch ginger, finely grated
  • 2 scallions, chopped
Directions
  1. Dry the fish with a paper towel
  2. Lightly rub the fish with a bit of salt and pepper
  3. In a bowl, mix all the ingredients that are not the fish
  4. Line a steamer basket with parchment paper, making sure it goes up the sides to prevent spillage
  5. Lay the fish in the steamer basket and pour over the mixture from the bowl
  6. Steam for about 30 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork
  7. Serve fish and top with sauce 
Good Times!


No comments:

Post a Comment