|Another Sausage, Sauerkraut |
and Potato Recipe
but with Apples!
(via Fix-It and Forget-It Recipes for Entertaining)
- 5-6 bratwurst links, cut into 1" pieces (I'm always leery of bratwurst; my father referred to it as "gray meat." We went with a package of Johnsonville "Irish O'Garlic" sausages.)
- 5 medium sized potatoes, peeled and cubed (we just scrubbed them and cubed them. I generally refuse to peel a potato)
- 27 ounce can sauerkraut, rinsed and drained (we used a 24 ounce jar, just to be difficult)
- 1 medium tart apple, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (HAHAHAHAHAHA, no. You've already got kraut and a pack of sausages in there. If there's one thing this recipe does NOT need, it's more salt.
- 1 teaspoon Old World Central Street Seasoning from Spice House (yeah yeah, it's got salt, but a ton of other good things in there!)
- Brown bratwurst/sausages on all sides in skillet (did they mean all sides of the sausage, or brown the sausage on all sides of the skillet? I tried browning the sausages on the outside of the skillet and it made a hell of a mess)
- Combine remaining ingredients in slow cooker. Stir in bratwurst/sausage and pan drippings (Pan drippings? Seriously. They mean grease. You cook half a dozen processed meat tubes in a pan and you get grease. Pan drippings sounds like a Satyr with venereal disease)
- Cover. Cook on high 4-6 hours, or until potatoes and apples are tender. (It took us about 5 hours)
BONUS! Click HERE to see the video replay of the live stream we did of cooking this recipe!