Thursday, April 9, 2015

RC-Tequila Carnitas

     I am a Goddamn genius. I'm just putting it out there right now. This recipe is proof of my towering intellect.  I have created a meal of such unsurpassed deliciousness that even the most accomplished chef would bow before it. I can say without fear of contradiction that this is one of the greatest things I have ever cooked. All bombast aside, this is truly a fantastic dish. It's also super easy to make, though it does take a while. I have always enjoyed the carnitas I would get at Mexican restaurants and wanted to make them at home. Granted, I don't think RC and bottom shelf tequila qualify as authentic Mexican, but such is life. It's good. So good. Change your pants good. Just make it. Then shower me with the praise I no doubt deserve.

RC-Tequila Carnitas
Ingredients
  • 2 pound pork shoulder (Boston Butt)
  • 1 sweet onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
  • 2 cans cola (we used RC)
  • 1/3 cup tequila (I imagine the tequila you use will slightly effect the flavor. We used Sauza white tequila)
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • Salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, fennel seeds
Directions
  1. Rub meat (*snicker*) with salt, pepper, red pepper and fennel. Set aside.
  2. In a large enameled cast iron dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons oil at medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden brown. 
  3. Turn up heat a bit and add roast, searing on each side for a couple minutes or until it starts to brown.
  4. Add the cola and tequila. Liquid should be deep enough that at least half the meat is submerged. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. 
  5. Cover and put in oven preheated to 350F (180C, Gasmark 4) and cook for 3 hours. Check level of liquid, adding more if necessary to keep the roast about halfway in the liquid.
  6. Reduce heat to 250F (130C, Gasmark 1/2) and cook another hour. 
  7. Remove meat from dutch oven and use two forks to pull the meat into chunks (don't fully shred the meat. You want some nice quarter-sized chunks of meat)
  8. Spread the meat on a baking sheet or in a Pyrex dish. Put under the broiler for 5-10 minutes or until the meat starts to crisp a bit on the edges.
  9. Take any remaining liquid and onion from the dutch oven and stir it in with the meat. 
Better than the usual Good Times!

No comments:

Post a Comment