Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Shepherds Pie

     Shepherds Pie is a deceptive dish. It looks like it would be really simple. However, there's a fair bit of work that goes in to making this dish. It doesn't quite qualify as a PITA, but it's close. This particular version comes from my dear friend, Gordon Ramsay* over at Channel 4. While this dish is not terribly difficult to make, it is a bit labor intensive. It's worth the effort, as you end up with a delicious meal. As always, any notes or changes are in blue.
Shepherds Pie
via my close, personal friend, Gordon Ramsay
Ingredients
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper (I actually have sea salt on hand! Amazing!)
  • 1 lb. minced lean lamb (um...no. I'll be using lean ground beef. I'm not made of money)
  • 1 large onion, finely grated
  • 1 large carrot, finely grated
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tbsp tomato puree (I hope that meant tomato paste, because that's what I used)
  • Handful of thyme sprigs, leaves picked (not a chance. I used 1 teaspoon dried)
  • 1 sprig of rosemary, needles chopped (I used dried here, too)
  • 1 cup red wine (I used a dry. I hate drinking dry wines, so I use them for cooking)
  • 1-1/4 chicken stock
  • 2 pounds Desiree potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (I don't think that kind of potato is even real. I think Ramsay just made that up and figured nobody would call bullshit. I just used Russets)
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 2 egg yolks
  • Parmesan, for grating (or a handy plastic jar, for shaking, since I don't keep block Parmesan on hand)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350F (180C, Gasmark 4)

2. Heat the oil in a large pan until hot. Season the meat and fry in the oil over moderate to high heat for 2-3 minutes. Stir the onions and carrot into the mince then grate the garlic in as well. Add the Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree (paste) and herbs and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour in the red wine and reduce until almost completely evaporated (if you opened a new bottle of wine for this recipe, just go ahead and drink it while you cook. That way, if you screw up, you'll be too shitfaced to care). Add the chicken stock, bring to the boil and simmer until the sauce has thickened

3. Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender. Drain, then return to the hot pan over low heat to dry out briefly. Pass them through a potato ricer (that's a gadget I do not own. I just went ahead and mashed them with my trusty masher) then beat in the egg yolks, followed by about 2 tbsp grated Parmesan. Check for seasoning (don't just point to it on the counter and shout, "There it is!" Add it to the potatoes if needed). 

4. Spoon the meat into the bottom of a large ovenproof dish. Using a large spoon, layer the mashed potato generously on top of the meat, starting from the outside and working your way into the middle (if you try to layer from the middle out, you'll rip a hole in the universe. True story). Grate some extra Parmesan over and season. Fluff up the mash potato with a fork to make rough peaks. Bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes, until bubbling and golden brown.

Good times!
*Gordon Ramsay is currently unaware I even exist. 

1 comment:

  1. Once again, your posts are as funny as they are delicious. :) Shepherd's Pie would be perfect for dinner; especially the wine part. I am really glad you shared this at Treasure Box Tuesday last week. Pinned so that ALL may enjoy. ;)

    ReplyDelete