Tuesday, December 20, 2022

The Best Damned Brussels Sprouts You'll Ever Eat

 

Brussels sprouts are a truly divisive ingredient. You either love them or hate them. Naturally, my child hates them and runs screaming from the room if I suggest she eat some. She claims that her school cafeteria served them once and she did not like them, I contend that story is 100% bullshit. Fortunately, I watch a shit-ton of America's Test Kitchen and took some of their advice and came up with this absolute gem of a recipe. No joke. I could stand at the counter and eat the whole pound of these if left to my own devices. I imagine the gas would be absolutely spectacular. Try it and let me know!

The Best Damned Brussels Sprouts You'll Ever Eat

Ingredients

  • 1 pound of Brussels sprouts, rinsed and cut in half
  • 3 tablespoons bacon grease (you can make due with grapeseed or vegetable oil but you're going to lose a bunch of flavor)
  • 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable stock
  • Seasoned salt
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375F (190C, Gas Mark 5)
  2. In a large, oven proof skillet (I used my trusty Lodge cast iron skillet) melt the bacon grease on medium-high heat until it has coated the bottom of the pan.
  3. Lay the Brussels sprouts, cut side down in the pan in a single layer. It is important that the cut side is making direct contact with the bottom of the pan.
  4. Let the Brussels sprouts sizzle away on the pan for about 5-6 minutes. You're looking to get a really nice sear on the bottoms. 
  5. Turn the heat off under the pan and slowly pour in the stock. Then sprinkle the top with the seasoned salt.
  6. Put in the oven for about 8-10 minutes. You want the stock to completely cook off in there. 
  7. Once the stock is cooked off, take them out of the oven and serve them up!
Good Times!


No comments:

Post a Comment