Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Salmon and Penne in Garlic Pesto Sauce

 There's some good recipes floating out there, if you're willing to suffer through pages of scrolling. Alternately, just find the "jump to recipe" button. While looking for inspiration for dinner, I happened across a recipe from Salt & Lavender for a salmon pasta in garlic sauce. It looked good. I decided to make it and like any good online cook, I immediately made changes without trying the original recipe. Mostly I wanted to use a jar of pesto that I've had since 2014. I also wanted way more garlic than the recipe called for. I'm sure their recipe is wonderful, and I'm sure mine is as well. Feel free to try it! I don't necessarily endorse using eight year old pesto, though.

Salmon and Penne in Garlic Pesto Sauce

Ingredients

  • 1 pound penne
  • 1 pound salmon fillets
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 1 cup chicken/vegetable stock (water will do in a pinch, but you'll lose some richness in the sauce.)
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 2 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 cup grated parmesan cheese (I used the stuff from the container. I never have fresh on hand.)
  • 1/2 cup jarred pesto (I used a walnut/oregano pesto I made back in 2014. Miraculously, we did not die.)
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 375F (190C, Gas Mark 5)
  2. According to directions on pasta box, cook penne until al dente. Drain and set aside
  3. Pat salmon dry with paper towels, then season with salt and pepper on both sides (the salmon, not the paper towels)
  4. Put salmon on baking sheet and cook in oven about 10-12 minutes, or until fish starts to get flaky. 
  5. While fish is cooking, heat butter in a large pan/pot (I used a 5 quart enameled Dutch oven and needed every last bit of it) When the butter has melted and starts to bubble, add flour and mix to form a roux. Stir constantly until the roux starts to darken.
  6. Add the garlic powder and keep stirring.
  7. Add the stock and lemon juice. Then stir in the cream. Finally add the pesto and Parmesan. Stir until completely incorporated and just starting to bubble. 
  8. Crumble the salmon in to the sauce and add the penne. Mix everything thoroughly. 
Good Times!


No comments:

Post a Comment